Feeling pain and swelling in neck artery. Blood clot or aneurysm?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm a little concerned about my carotid artery. I thought it was a swollen lymph gland as I wasn't feeling great a week or so ago. But I'm worried because it feels swollen right on top of my artery and radiates up to my ear. That whole side of my neck is a bit tender, but especially sore in a couple spots. I just started worrying that it could be a blood clot or aneurism.
Thank you!
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The pain restricted only to the carotid artery with pain and intermittent palpable swellings could be related to an inflammation of the arterial wall like arteritis.
A direct examination and investigations like color doppler of the area will be helpful. Do consult a vascular surgeon for a detailed examination.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.