Feeling off balance, ear is painful due to wax. Pops when swallow and crackles when blow nose. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
hi. im feeling off balance alot!!! its been like this for 2 weeks. my left ear is very painful and has alot of wax built up. when i swallow it pops and when i blow my nose it makes a cracle noise. i have been to a doctor and had ear drops which are cleaning the ear but still alot of lumpy wax coming out. im wondering if ear problems can cause this feeling????? i also get headaches but not very bad and close to my ear where my jaw is it hurts. thank you.
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 25 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

The earache could be due to the impacted wax pressing over the canal skin inducing inflammation and pain.

Impacted wax usually swells up when it comes in contact with water or any sort of liquids. This exerts pressure over the surrounding skin of the external auditory meatus thus inducing inflammation and pain. This can worsen during jaw movements and swallowing. This is also the chief cause for headache over the affected side.

The dizziness and the cracking noise are due to the impacted wax touching the ear drum during the jaw movements and the pressure variations in the ear.

My suggestion to you is to take the pain killers (such as ibuprofen or diclofenac) which are available over the counter. Consult your doctor for a complete evaluation and removal of the wax.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon