Ask a Urologist   »  

Feeling of urination always. Suggestions

I feel like I have to urinate all the time. even if my bladder is emty
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 35 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Urgency is the compelling urge or feeling that you need to urinate. It can be related to different aspects of the urinary tract.

It can be related to the prostate in men which is why the doctor would have suggested flomax, this is the medication used for men with benign enlargement of the prostate.

It can also be related to : (1) urethritis which is inflammation of the urethra , the passage way for urine the travels from the bladder

(2) cystitis -inflammation of the bladder - this can be secondary to infection , chemical or a condition called interstitial cystitis which is a diagnosis of exclusion (all other conditions are ruled out). Interstitial cystitis is a chronic condition that is associated with bladder pain and urgency.It is treated initially by education and changing the diet to reduce the use of substances that stimulate or irritate the bladder, medication is also used.

(3)stones in the bladder or kidney but should have been seen on ultrasound

(4) over active bladder

(5) high levels of a hormone called the parathyroid hormone.This is diagnosed by a blood test to check the levels

(6)any brain or spinal injury

(7)reiters arthritis

You may want to consider visiting a urologist who may perform some investigations to determine the exact cause. The tests may include: urine analysis and culture, analysis of prostatic secretions and possibly cystoscopy which involves taking a look inside the bladder.
blood tests may also be done to check parathyroid hormone levels

The treatment would depend on the cause found.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Feeling of urination always. Suggestions 25 hours later
I went to to Hospital, and they ran tests. Blood workup urine analyst, and a Cat Scan, All showed no problem. I was told I have and over active bladder, and was given Detrol.Could tell me more about treatment options, as this has gone on for 7 weeks now
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 21 minutes later
Over active bladder would definitely cause your symptoms

New guidelines for diagnosis and management were released and published by the American urological association in October 2012.

There are different stages and types of treatment recommended:
(1) some persons may op for no treatment
(2)Initial therapy consist of bladder training and bladder control strategies that would be demonstrated by your doctor, pelvic muscle training and management of fluids ingested
(3)drugs within the family of medication called anti muscarinics are offered if the above are not effective. These medication reduce the bladder stimulation and include vesicare, darifenacin, toviaz, ditrropan,
(4)the third line of treatment involves neuromodulation which means changing nerve stimulation. The main one is sacral neuromodulation. The sacral nerve is located low in the back and this procedure allow delivery of impulses via this nerve

If you are currently being taught the exercises and using medication with no relief then you may want to consider changing the medication to see if another one would work more effectively.
If this does not work then you can discuss the surgical option with your doctor

Please feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Feeling of urination always. Suggestions 6 days later
My Doctor has run some test. Blood work, and urin came back with no issue. He checked out my bladder with a scope. Did not find any issues there. I have been reading about the symptoms of IC and those seem to be the closest. Pain in the pelvic area frequent urges, espeically as the bladder fills. My Doctor put me on Detrol, and flowmax, but I still feel like I have to urinate all the time. I'm looking for other this I can try that are natiral
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later

Interstitial cystitis can be difficult to treat in some person. Unfortunately rarely are any treatment methods immediate, complete and durable.

Treatment normally starts with the least invasive methods and steps up if there is no relief of symptoms.

The first aspect is diet and fluid management, stress and time management and behaviour modification ( this consists of pelvic muscle training and bladder training)

In terms of diet it is important to avoid the following: tomatoes, spicy foods, vinegar, chocolate, alcohol, caffeine, some fruits and vegetables

There are different types of medications that can be used such as: (1) first generation anti histamines which are the stronger type, (2) tricyclic antidepressants that help with pain relief and also in the control of the bladder through part of the nervous system
(3)urinary pain killers such as a medication called pentosan polysulfate sodium

If you feel that the diagnosis is more in keeping with IC then you may want to speak to your doctor about your treatment options.
There are also some interstitial cystitis groups that focus on providing support and avenues for treatment.

Hope you get some relief soon
Please feel free to ask any thing else