Feeling of ticking in cervical vertebrae, seems tissue or fluid in the area. Info on what could be this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi there, my c7 vertebrae is ticking out a lot and feels as though there is tissue or fluid covering it making it stick out more so. any info on this would be great
Posted Mon, 18 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
Feeling of a ticking in the cervical vertebrae is more likely to be due to degenerative changes in the joint and is less likely to be due to any fluid or tissue collection in the area. Most of the times such changes do not indicate any pathology. A clinical assessment is required to ascertain their significance.
To find out the exact cause, an MRI of the cervical spine is helpful. Regular physiotherapy and neck exercises will decrease such a sensation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Feeling of ticking in cervical vertebrae, seems tissue or fluid in the area. Info on what could be this? 7 minutes later
hi there,

i meant that it is "sticking" out, not tickling. it feels as if there is tissue attached or fluid covering it.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 45 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The spinous process of C7 vertebra is always more prominent than the other vertebrae. It seems to be a physiological variation in your case. Please do not worry. It is not indicative of any pathology. In case there is any pain or movement restriction, then a physical examination is needed for evaluation of the cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.