Feeling of swelling in occipital lymph node on the back of head, no pain. Any insights?

I have what I think is a swollen occipital lymphnode on the right side of the back of my head. It feels bone-like and immovable and does not really cause me any pain. I noticed it the other day and I can estimate that it is the size of a pea.

I am a 27 year old healthy male and cannot remember the last time I was ill.

Any help much appreciated.
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 3 hours later
Hello Mr.XXXXXX,

Thanks for your enquiry,

You are 27/M, Healthy. You feel a pea size swelling in your right side back of your head. It is bony hard and immobile. I think you noticed it only recently. It is painless and you think it may be occipital lymph node.

But the way you have expressed that swelling, goes in favor of a bony swelling and possibly Osteoma.
Osteoma is a benign bony outgrowth of membranous bones found most commonly on the skull and facial bones.

Diagnosis: By X-Ray and only if necessary CT or MRI
Treatment: No need for any treatment if they are asymptomatic.
Rarely - Removal by excision or laser.
Meanwhile do routine blood test, and a complete examination of scalp to find any source of infection.

As such, in my opinion if it is only an Osteoma, then it does not warrant any treatment.
Nothing to worry. Forget it and do your routine work

Best wishes
Follow-up: Feeling of swelling in occipital lymph node on the back of head, no pain. Any insights? 5 hours later
Thank you for your advice.

Just one further question, if you don't mind. If it is an Osteoma, would I not have been experiencing headaches? Is there anything else that it might be based on what I have told you?

Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 4 hours later
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX,

Thanks for your follow-up query.

You expressed in a clear way about the swelling, just like a Dr. explaining the swelling.
Osteomas arise from outer surface of bone of scalp.
Usually it does not produce headache, some people may get localized pain in that particular spot, but it is not headache.
Thank You
Best wishes