Feeling of something stuck in vagina. Noticed mild cystocele. Is it normal after vaginal delivery?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
I am a woman in menopause for 5 years now. Last year i suddenly felt if there was something in my vagina. Especially on the left side where my episiotomie was. I thaught something was comming down.
I went to the doctor and she noticed a very mild (you can hardley mention it) cystocele and she said al the women who had vaginal delivery look like that. And because of menopause everything is more "hanging".The feeling is getting me crazy. I went to several specialists and they tell me all the same. I had a vacuum delivery with episiotomie. Every time i look with a mirror i see my vaginal frontwall in my vaginal opening in standing position.
It is not coming out, also not when i'm bearing down. Is that normal with all the women who had vaginal delivery?
With self examination i feel a soft bulge in the vagina. Is that only vaginal frontwall?
The other feeling i have is if it feels like my vagina is a hole. As if my muscels won't come together.
So when i walk or bend it feels like my muscels will stay in the same position and if my vagina is an open tube.
When i walk i feel the need of pushing my legs together to get rid of the feeling
Sorry i was not ready yet and i clicked the button.
What can these strange feelings be. I feel my vagina the whole day. It is so crazy! Is it because i'm thin? Is it because of dryness?
It started suddenly a year ago and no specialist can help me. I know it is very complecated but i'm very depressed.
Sorry if my english is not always good but i'm a Dutch woman

Posted Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

After attaining menopause due to the reduction in the estrogen levels some amount of weakening of the ligamentous and muscular supports of the vagina and surrounding tissues can occur.
In women with previous normal deliveries these changes can be more noticeable.
Cystocele should be treated when it presents with symptoms like urinary infections, incomplete emptying etc.
If there are no such symptoms then no need to worry.
Soft bulge you are feeling can be more possibly the vaginal anterior wall only.
Normally vagina will be closed by shutter mechanism due to approximation of the vaginal walls and in the outside by two labia minora.
But with progression of the age these strength in the walls can lost and also labia can get atrophied to some extent and also wide open.
That may be the cause for your feeling of open vagina.

Now what you can do is:
Try to practice kegel exercises with your doctor's advice, which will help in strengthening the pelvic muscles.
For procedure you can see this link: WWW.WWWW.WW You can go for local vaginal creams containing low levels of estrogen after consulting your doctor, which will help in decreasing the dryness of vagina and also in strengthening the local muscles.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Feeling of something stuck in vagina. Noticed mild cystocele. Is it normal after vaginal delivery? 2 hours later
Thank you for answering me. It helped me a lot.
I'm satisfied with your answers but still have e few more questions.
Are these symptoms of menopause happening to all the women in menopause?
And are there a lot of people suffering from these symptoms?
Does the lost of strenght in your vagina walls stop after a few years after menopause or is this going on and gets worse and mayby you have a vaginal prolaps after all?
Thank you for answering all my questions

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 19 hours later
-All may not have, but many people can have few of these symptoms. The possibility of symptoms will depend on:
The age of the onset of menopause, more symptoms seen in women will early menopause.
Associated muscular and ligamentous disorders.
Parity- number of deliveries, type of deliveries etc.
Occupation of the women, prolapse is more common in women who lifts heavy weights.
General health of the women etc.
-At-least half of the women in menopausal age group can have any one of these symptoms.
-If the possibility of prolapse is recognized early, preventive measures followed and causative factors are avoided then the strength of vagina can be maintained and prolapse can be prevented.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Feeling of something stuck in vagina. Noticed mild cystocele. Is it normal after vaginal delivery? 39 minutes later
Thanks for answering.
The last questions i have are:
Is the soft bulge as you said is probably the anterior vaginal wall normal? Has anyone this? Or is this a prolaps only of the vaginal wall?
I feel my cervix (and maybe my uterus) on the right side of my vagina.
Is that possible? And is it possible that you feel it not very high in the vagina?
Is this also because of menopause?
Thank you for answering

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later

In some postmenopausal women this kind of sagging down of anterior vaginal wall can be seen. Unless it causes symptoms no need to bother about it.
Prolapse of anterior vaginal wall will present with symptoms like pressure in the vagina, recurrent urinary infections, painful intercourse etc. As you are not having any of these there is less possibility for prolapse.

Usually the cervix lies around 8 to 10 cm away from the vaginal opening. Sometimes little deviation to either side can be seen.
Some women can feel the cervix by passing their finger.

Usually it can be felt high, that able to touch with your middle finger. Sometimes due to loosening of ligaments it can come a little bit down.

Yes, this can also be seen due to menopause.

No need to worry about all these unless you have any symptoms. As I told previously kegel exercises and hormonal therapy can help in preventing the prolapse.