Feeling of something stuck in throat, white phlegm, no fever, mild pain in thyroid section of neck. Treatment ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been feeling something stuck in my throat for last few days now, following are the symptoms:
White phlegm comes out some times.
No Fever.
Feels like something stuck in my throat.
Mild pain when I touch my thyroid section of my neck from outside.
Mild or No couching.
Please let me know what it can be.

Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 13 minutes later

Do you have hoarseness of voice?

Any breathing difficulty, excessive sound on taking breath?

Any pain on swallowing?

According to your history, you suffer from acidity. It is possible you could have aspirated a bit of acid into your voice box which can cause pain, hoarseness of voice, scratchy feeling in the throat.

Other possibility could be inflammation of your pharynx of upper food pipe due to acidity which can cause pain on swallowing.

You need to do steam inhalation for relief. Since you have whitish sputum, there is no infection yet. The steam inhalation will remove the phlegm and reduce it's occurrence.

Avoid spicy and cold food or fluids.
Avoid lying down immediately after meal, rather you can lie at incline of 45 degrees with head end up.
You can lie down flat after 2 hours of meal. Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol.
Drink plenty of water. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables which also reduce acidity.
Keep yourself warm. You may have yoghurt as well.
You may require specific therapy for your acidity like Proton pump inhibitor drugs.

If cough increases you can take cough suppressant like Koflet syrup under medical supervision.

Consult your ENT Doctor and get a complete evaluation to look for possible acid ulcer in the voice box and associated pharyngitis. According to the cause you will be given appropriate treatment.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Feeling of something stuck in throat, white phlegm, no fever, mild pain in thyroid section of neck. Treatment ? 41 minutes later
thanks Aashish,
No hoarseness of voice as such. Mild heavy breathing at times, but I am able to do my regular exercise without any issue and no pain in swallowing as such.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up.

It could be a case of mild pharyngitis possibly due to acquired infection from airborne virus.

You can do steam inhalation. If your sputum turns yellow, you may need antibiotics for which you need to consult your Doctor.

Do get your throat examined by an ENT Surgeon to rule out possible acid induced damage to the voice box which is quite common due to acid reflux.