Feeling of pointy bone on both sides of trachea, What is this? Part of anatomy? Hard lump?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a small framed 32 year old woman. I have the feeling of a pointy bone on both sides of my trachea. What is this? I thought maybe a hard lump but it is on both sides. Is this part of my anatomy?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

A pointy bone on both sides of trachea is hyoid bone which acts as a frame to protect the trachea. It is a horseshoe shaped bone situated in the upper half of the neck in its anterior part. In thin persons, it is externally visible.

It is a part of your normal anatomy. There is nothing to worry.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.