Feeling of pain and blockage in ear. What is the underlying cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My right ear feels like it has a cotton ball in it . It hurts a little but I'm not dizzy at all what is wrong.
Also I can hear out of my right ear but the sound is muffled
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The symptoms that you have described can happen due to-
1. Eustachian tube catarrh - there is sudden blockage of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear) at the nasal end, either due to common cold or sinusitis. This blockage induces negative pressure inside the middle ear leading to fullness of the ear and the head.
2. Impacted wax- there is blockage of the external auditory (ear) canal causing fullness of the ear, reduced hearing and also heaviness of the head. If you can obtain some carbamide peroxide solution from your pharmacy this works wonderfully to soften the wax so it will eventually fall out. If you cannot find this solution you can mix a solution of clean water with hydrogen peroxide - 50/50 mix - and put a few drops in the ear three times daily for 3 days. This will sometimes work also but the carbamide is the best way to go. It sometimes comes under a name brand of Debrox.

3. Sudden sensorineural hearing loss is a rare condition of the ear wherein there is sudden weakness of the auditory nerve in the inner ear due to unknown cause. And, this gives rise to the above mentioned symptoms along with hearing loss.

As there are various causes which can manifest in the similar fashion, it is indeed difficult to pinpoint the exact cause. A thorough examination of the ear and nose can aid in making a correct diagnosis. Hence I would suggest you to consult a good ENT specialist for the same.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Feeling of pain and blockage in ear. What is the underlying cause? 3 minutes later
What can I do to clear out my ear
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
You can use Debrox to clear the wax and in case the problem persists, consult an ENT specialist for proper antibiotics and to rule out a middle ear infection.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.