Feeling of numbness in legs and arms along with feeling of fainting. Blood work normal with iron deficiency

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi. This weekend, I had a feeling of numbness in my legs and arms (pins and needles feeling). I also had a "pre-faint"feeling, like I was going to faint. I woke up out of my sleep and experienced this feeling. I did not want to go back to sleep as I felt like I would slip into a coma of some sort - (between the faint feeling and the numbness; very uncomfortable). I became very nervous and walked around my home, did some light exercising and took a shower just to get the blood flowing and hopefully more oxygen to the brain. I stated to feel a little better and went back to sleep. The next morning, I felt much better. Last month, I felt another feeling on the train where I felt as though I was gong to faint/ It went away after a day of drinking water, fresh vegetable juices, etc..I must admit I smoke cigarettes and I am positive that this tingly pins and needles feeling can be attributed to that. I quit smoking cigarettes this weekend after that very uncomfortable feeling that woke me up out of my sleep. My question is: was this an episode of low blood sugar or some sort of pre / XXXXXXX stroke? The last time i had blood work done and a full exam was this December past and the only thing flagged was low iron. I am a healthy person with unhealthy habits. What are your thoughts?
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The symptoms that you have can be due to a mild electrolyte imbalance, Vitamin B 12 deficiency, vitamin D3 and iron deficiency, a generalized viral infection or a mini- stroke. Since the episodes are recurrent, it is best to consult a physician and get your symptoms evaluated with the help of a few blood tests. Till then start taking electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids and Methylcobalamin supplements to improve the symptoms.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.