Feeling of lump in throat coming to mouth. Taking Prevacid, feel nauseous, mucus in throat. Taken TUMS. Suggest?

Critical Care Specialist
I have been experiencing the feeling of a lump in my throat and bubbles coming up into my mouth. I have been taking Prevacid once a day in the morning since May of 2013 and it was working up until 2 weeks ago. I also feel somewhat naseous when I wake up at 5:00 a.m. I also feel as though there is mucous in my throat; it feels somewhat slimey at times. This lump type feeling comes and goes, but has been bothering me for most of the day.I have felt the area of my throuat where it feels like the lump would be but there is not physical feeling of a lump present on the outside of my throat. I also feel like I want to vomit, the bubbles come up and I feel like if I threw up I might feel better. I have an appointment with my doctor on October 1st but would like to know what I can do to help relieve these feelings. I have taken some anti acids (TUMS) but they don't seem to work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
These are symptoms of gastroesophageal-reflux-disease/1200" >GERD.

Detailed Answer:

The symptoms you have described are of GERD that is gastro esophageal reflux disorder. This is due to increase in acid content in stomach due to many reasons which I am going to describe and secondly due to lose lower esophageal sphincter, which prevents reflux of acid from stomach into esophagus. Reflux of acid from stomach into esophagus can give rise to feeling of a lump in esophagus. When the reflux of acid reaches up to pharynx this give rise to symptoms of what you described as bubbles coming into mouth.

The second cause which could give rise to feeling of a lump in throat is hiatus hernia (passing of a portion of stomach from abdomen into chest through loose opening in diaphragm (muscle which separates abdomen from chest).
Acid is normally presented in stomach and very important for the digestion of food we eat. It creates problems only when increased amount is produced due to reasons like cigarette smoking, alcohol, spicy food and increase consumption of coffee and tea.

Anxiety (stress and tension) is also important cause of increased acid production. Final and most important cause of increase acid production is infection of stomach by a bacterium called H Pylori. Increased acid in stomach and loose lower esophageal sphincter are responsible for reflux of acid into esophagus which produce the symptoms which you are having.

You need some investigations like ultrasound abdomen and upper G I endoscopy commonly called as EGD to establish the cause of your symptoms. GERD, Hiatus hernia and infection of stomach by
H-pylori can be diagnosed during endoscopy.

You have already an appointment with a physician in October hopefully he /she will investigate you on above described lines. Till then avoid the factors responsible for increased acid production described above (if you’re having any one)
Continue to take antacid round the clock .You can increase the dose of prevacid twice a day.

Hope this answers your question.

If you have any more questions in your mind write me back I am readily available to answers all you questions.

Take care and regards.
Dr Sadiq.
Follow-up: Feeling of lump in throat coming to mouth. Taking Prevacid, feel nauseous, mucus in throat. Taken TUMS. Suggest? 25 minutes later
Just a follow up question regarding medication: I currently take 30mg of Lansoprazole and have been advised to take one capsule daily. Is it okay to increase the dosage for the next two week until I see my doctor? and if so, should I take one pill in the morning and one at badtime? I also have a bottle (150mg) of Ranitidine which were prescribed prior to the lansoprazole. They didn't help very much, hense the new perscription of lansoprazole. The information on the Ranitidine is to take one tablet twice daily. Thank you so much for your earlier response. It is so very much appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take Lansoprazole 30 mg in morning.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up.

You can take 30 mg of Lansoprazole on the morning before breakfast and 150 mg of ranitidine at bed time. This will give you protection from acid round the clock and will also prevent acid reflux till you visit you physician.

Hope this answers your question.

If you don't have any more questions in your mind close the discussion and rate the answers.
Take care and regards.
Dr Sadiq.