Feeling of knot in testicle, getting larger, had vasectomy. Related to vasectomy?

I feel a knot on one of my testicals could this come from a vasectomy. It was very small at first but now it has goten larger.what could it be.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 40 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

From your description I understand that you are concerned about a small knot like growth which has been increasing in size slowly over a period of time. If I am not mistaken, you have undergone vasectomy sometime in the past.

With this background, yes, it is possible that the knot which you have noticed could be related to vasectomy. Meaning, after vasectomy, the vas (The tube which carries the sperm from testicles to the seminal vesicles) gets blocked, hence there could be some amount of back pressure building up in the vas which might lead to something called as spermatocele (Collection of sperm in a sac like structure around the testis). This is the first possibility I can think of.

The second thing which comes to my mind is the possibility of varicocele. This condition is similar to varicose veins of the legs, here the enlarged accompany the vas and arteries to the testes. But in this condition you would typically feel something like a bag of worms rather than a knot.

The third possibility is that of a tumor of the testes, either benign or malignant.

Finally it could be a loculated hydrocele, in this condition there is accumulation of serous fluid just outside the testes.

To differentiate all these a physical exam is imperative. So I suggest you please visit your good health.

Follow-up: Feeling of knot in testicle, getting larger, had vasectomy. Related to vasectomy? 25 minutes later
Thank you Doc for your answer.You mention collection of spermatocele,could this cause me to see sperm in my toilet water. Because i have seen this before.It looks like sperm.Also the bags of worms theory would this feel like the worms are crawling,like itching. Can this condition cause stop and erection.Or make an erection go down quick. How does a tumor feel because this knot is like it is connected to the outside of my right testical.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 19 hours later
Hello again Mr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing back.

1. Could this cause me to see sperm in my toilet water?

No, Spermatocele is a sac like structure and after a vasectomy there is no communication between the urethra and the testes. So sperms can not come into the urine, if that is what you mean by toilet water.

If I am not mistaken, you might have noticed some fluid coming out of the urethra. This could be just the prostatic fluid, this fluid does not contain any sperms.

2. Also the bag of worms theory, would this feel like the worms are crawling, like itching?

No, You will not have any itching or crawling sensation in varicocele.

3. Can this condition cause stop and erection or make an erection go down quick?

No, It does not have any relation with erection.

4. How does a tumor feel?

A tumor feels hard to touch, and it is well demarcated(You can feel the edges of the tumor easily), It could be attached to the testis or it could be away from it, depending on where it is arising from.

If it is attached to the base of the testicle, it is more likely to be a spermatocele.

I would encourage you to visit your PCP for a detailed examination so that any other cause could be ruled out.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please accept my answer if you do not have any more queries.