Feeling of heartbeat in stomach on over exerting. Is this normal?

Hello. I can often feel a heartbeat in my stomach when I slightly exert myself (walking up the stairs etc - so not a great deal of exertion). It is to the left under my ribs. I googled this and it came up with aortic aneurism - yikes!, or that this pulse can sometimes be felt in really thin people. I am not fat but neither am I thin. Is this normal or is it something to worry about?
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 20 days later
welcome to health care magic,
I read your query ,
feeling of one,s own heart beat normally occurs in thin individuals , during exertion ( because of increased heart rate ), during anxiety states, emotion and night times when you sleep in prone position and in valvular heart diseases, hyperthyroidism.
If this heartbeat is pulsatile you have to think of aneurysm.
First you consult a physician and take one ECG , it will show any abnormality in rhythm , and if needed consult a cardiologist.
best wishes.
Follow-up: Feeling of heartbeat in stomach on over exerting. Is this normal? 3 hours later
Hi. Thank you for that. I am suffering with health anxiety at the moment. Could that be connected? What is the difference between a heartbeat and a pulsating heartbeat? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
hi,yes, anxiety can cause this type of symptoms.
pulsating means that part should expand and go down with each heart beat. In normal heart beat it just touches and goes to your hand when it placed on that area. But in pulsating it lift the hand , usually present in abdominal aortic aneurysms.
thank you.