Feeling of exaggerated movement / seizure of baby in seven month pregnancy

I am 29 weeks and have a feeling like the baby is have a seizure>
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 5 hours later

Thank you for posting your query. It is indeed a very intriguing question.

I will try to give you an idea about your observations, meantime I would like to know a few more details regarding this particular observation of yours.

1. Since how long have you noticed these exaggerated movements of your baby inside the uterus?
2. When did you first feel your baby move?
3. Have you had an anomaly scan done between 18-20 weeks of pregnancy? If yes, what were the findings?
4. Have you discussed this with your obstetrician?

Fetal movement is felt by the mother by around 20 weeks of pregnancy if it is first pregnancy or by 15 weeks if it is the second or third one. Babies do move around and kick around in the uterus in their wakeful state it is perfectly normal.

But if the movements have changed in their frequency or character recently, one should get it evaluated completely so that we would know what we are dealing with. The reasons for fetal seizures are usually an abnormality of the brain/malformation of the brain, hence a complete understanding of the problem will help prepare for a baby who might have some brain related problem.

Normal fetal movement is well documented and seen by ultrasonography.

Abnormal forceful, jerky, and periodic fetal movement could be called fetal seizures, It is a very rare condition and requires expert knowledge and a lot of understanding by the doctors to identify this condition and plan the next step .

The seizures occur repeatedly, usually involving the whole fetal body, and at a frequency that varies from two movements/second to several times/minute in lightening convulsions.

But false feeling can also occur in some patients when the Uterus goes through a fit of spasms.

It appear as a point where uterine muscles seem to "quake" or "shake", known as the Braxton-Hicks contractions.

Braxton-Hicks Contractions are purposeful "exercise" of the uterus for labor and delivery.
These are seen late in the pregnancy and are normal.

You can also appreciate the fetal movements well as they grow rapidly in the uterus and also when the water/liqour amnii is less in the uterus, making it easier to feel the movements of your baby easy.
Intrauterine fetal seizures are very difficult to diagnose, so consultation with your gynec or ultrasonologist is desirable. You may also consider consulting a Neonatal/Perinatologist also to discuss the possible causes for such excessive movements and how to deal with them.

Please do write back with the answers so that I can guide you better.

Awaiting your reply.