Feeling of chunk of skin at the front of throat, discomfort while standing or sitting. Had appliance for tooth grinding. What could it be?

ENT Specialist
I was very tired last night when I woke my throat was sore. Now it feels like a chunk of skin is in the back of my throat/front of my throat. It shifts when I swollow. I had an appliance for my tooth grinding in my mouth last night but it is soft plastic and still on my pillow so I did not swollow it. I can swollow water but it feels uncomfortable when I sit or stand.

sometimes it feels like something is in the back of my mouth and airway though there is no odd sound or trouble breathing. I cant see anything in a mirror.
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a videolaryngoscopy done. This enables a view upto the hypo pharynx.

2. Most likely this may be an injury to the lining of the throat.

3. Is the dental device transparent? Is it intact?

4. The entrance of the food pipe is the narrowest part of the gut, once anything passes through, there is usually no problem. You also have no dysphasia or breathlessness and voice is normal. Hence there is no cause for worry.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.