Feeling of breathlessness, weight loss, itching on legs, lump on legs, hot flashes. Blood work done. Any ideas?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I've been having a feeling of breathlessness for the last 6 weeks or so, also started loosing weight at this time,been getting intense itching on legs of and on. The breathlesness has increased in the last week or so and the weightloss sped up as well (lost 6 lbs this last week) I also lost my appetite and get full real easy . Now I feel a lump on my neck about were you would take a pulse,it's just on one side. When I drik alcohol I also get this intense dull pain almost immediately that radiates to my upper chest and makes it feel like it's even harder to breathe,so much so that I've been aviding alcohol cause it's really uncomfortable,it lasts for 20 mins or so and then goes away. Also have no energy and lately been waking up with 'hot flashes' ? No sweating though. My last blood test next week showed borderline anemia(HGB 11.5) and high platelets ( 587,000 ) and Vit. D deficiency . Any ideas?,I'm getting kinda worried about the weightloss ...
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 37 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query on Health Care Magic.

The symptoms of breathlessness, weight loss, and decreased appetite are alarming.
These are common constitutional symptoms of malignancy/ cancer.
I am not scaring you but there is an urgent need to visit your doctor.

A lump in the neck should be examined.
A FNAC/ biopsy of the lesion is required.
This investigation will sample the cells of the lesion and help in knowing the origin of the lesion and its character.

Since, there is chest pain, a X-ray chest is needed.

The itching on the legs can be associated with this disease process or can be an isolated finding.

Consult your doctor at the earliest.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal