Feeling numbness while sleeping or sitting with pressure on hands. What is causing this?

Question
I am feeling numbness while sleeping or sitting with pressure on my hand. What may be the reason?
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
Pressure on any part of the body compresses the nerves that supply that part. This leads to a feeling of numbness. This is what happens when we sleep in a wrong posture and the nerve gets compressed leading to such symptoms. This is what I think is the case with you as well.
If this feeling passes away in a few minutes, I dont think you need to worry about anything.
If however, the feeling persists, then let me know. We would then like to rule out other causes of nerve involvement.
Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Feeling numbness while sleeping or sitting with pressure on hands. What is causing this? 16 hours later
Thanks Doctor XXXXXXX
But this is not usual and sometimes even feel when sitting cross legs for longer time.
Do you suggest for some test to conduct.
Best Regards,

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
What you are describing happens to a lot of people and is a normal phenomenon. If this feeling doesnt persist, I dont think you need to worry about this. No test is required and you're perfectly ok.
Dont worry. Everything is fine.
Let me know if you need any more help. If you do not have any more questions, please close this discussion.