Feeling numbness in tongue. Cannot taste anything. Gums feel metallic slime. Have migraine. What to do?

I'm 19, and just today outta the blue my tongue went all numb except the tip, I can't taste anything except on the tip of my tongue and my saliva is foamy. When I touch my gums, they feel like they are coated with metallic slime. I've brushed my teeth and rinsed with mouth wash but my gums still feel metallic-y. What could cause this? I have a very healthy diet and exercise regularly. I also have a migraine and I feel like my face is swollen but its not.
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

Please reassess the symptom and verify if you feel the numbness more on one side or is it involving the whole tongue.

Based on what you describe, I think you have lost sensation of tongue. This is one of the early features of facial palsy (Bell's Palsy).

Facial nerve is the 7th cranial nerve is involved in tongue sensation as well as movements of facial muscles. And some one with facial nerve weakness develops reduced/loss of sensation of tongue, excessive watering of eyes, dropping eye lids, weakness of facial muscles and so on. As we have a pair of facial nerve and as Bell’s palsy is commonly an isolated / single nerve weakness, symptoms are distributed on one side. However bilateral facial palsy is rare.

In brief, based on your description, I feel what you have is early features of Bell’s palsy. You will need to visit your doctor at the earliest. And following a neurological examination, you might be started on a course of steroid and other medications. He/she will also instruct some facial exercises/physiotherapy.

I would also want to let you know that Bell’s palsy is reversible. So do not panic. Visit your doctor/ER at the earliest.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification.

I will like to know your feed backs after the visit to your doctor.