Feeling numbness in the arm one week after the internal fixation with plate. Worrisome

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
i broke my shoulder a week ago, had a proximal humeral op and now i am feeling numbness in my arm. is this normal.A plate with multiple screws were placed and are in good position and alignment according to post op scan.Worried about the numbness in my arm
I am self employed and have to drive to fetch my merchandise.How long do i have to wait before starting to drive. Do i always have to keep my arm in the sling?

YYYY@YYYY

Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The numbness in the arm one week after the internal fixation with plate may be due to nerve compression due to local swelling or nerve fibres involvement at the fracture site.
Most of the times this numbness improves with time as the swelling subsides.
The complete recovery may take upto 10-12 weeks. It depends on the rate of healing of the bone. Till then sling is needed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Feeling numbness in the arm one week after the internal fixation with plate. Worrisome 5 hours later
Do i always have to put my hand in the sling

You need to put your arm in the sling only during the daytime. You can remove the sling while sleeping. Just avoid lying on the injured side.
Regards.