Feeling numbness in arm and fingers and pain in breast after periods. Worrisome

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have numbness in my right arm starts from underarm and goes towards my fingers and now moving into my left arm!! few weeks ago i had a lump under my arm it was very small and gone, and i had it before its nothing unusual for me. also some times i get shooting pain in my breast or nipple but it does not last for long. i just finished my period as well. So i dont know really i'm just worried. please help.
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The numbness that you have in both of your arms is suggestive of a nerve root compression at the cervical vertebral level due to degenerative disc changes or cervical spondylosis. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine. Past neck injury may also contribute to the degeneration.

X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.
It is not likely to be related to the shooting pain you have in your breast occasionally.
Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.

As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.