Feeling numbness in arm. Should I be concerned?

I've had recurring episodes of left arm numbness over the past two weeks. Lasts for maybe 15-30 minutes then disappears. Happening once or twice a day. Have an appt. with my PCP next week, but hoping it's not something that needs attention sooner.
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 4 hours later
Thanks for the query

I would like to know
Have you ever had pain in that arm? do you have pains in neck and shoulders? how is your mood? have you ever suffered from depression? how is your appetite? i would like to know your weight. any family history of heart disease or hypertension?

Will be waiting for your reply

Follow-up: Feeling numbness in arm. Should I be concerned? 2 days later
Yes, I've had numbness in this arm a few years ago but it went away after recurring for a few days. I've never had it come and go for this many days (now 2 weeks). My mood and appetite are fine. No, I've never suffered from depression. My weight is 105lbs and has been my entire adult life. No family history of heart disease or hypertension. The numbness sometimes has spread to my shoulder and neck and once the tinglings reached the left side of my face, but just for a short time and then back to just the arm. Sometimes the tingling comes with a sensation of heat and sometimes I've had heartburn for a short time as well. Other than this, I feel fine.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 37 minutes later
Thanks for the detailed reply.

The sensations are distributed through out the body through sensory nerves. we feel such symptoms when there is some problem with the nerves. Now the nerve supply to the arms is from the cervical spine in the neck. The numbness produced is either due the to compression of the cervical spine due to any reason like improper posture of lying or inappropriate pillow or some pressure on that side of brachial plexus or either due to vit B12 deficiency. vit B12 supplements and short course of amitriptyline is suggested

If you have some queries, feel free to ask