Feeling numbness around mouth. I am HSV-2 positive. What could be causing this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi the area around my mouth has been feeling numb for a few days now. It has gotten a little better but now it is still kind of numb on my top lip. What could be causing this? I am HSV-2 positive, but I have never had an outbreak on my mouth.
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 39 minutes later

Usually oral herpes infection is caused by HSV-1, but HSV-2 can also cause this.
Recurrence is less frequent with HSV- 2. It generally presents as cold sores or fever blisters on the outer side of lips, gums etc.
Other causes that can cause perioral numbness are hypocalcemia, bell's palsy, neuropathies etc.
So you better consult physician once and get examined to find out the actual cause of your problem and take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Feeling numbness around mouth. I am HSV-2 positive. What could be causing this? 1 hour later
If it were herpes would it have already blistered up?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 hours later

Yes, usually in case of herpes lesions can be seen within two to three days of recurrence.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.