Feeling numbness and muscle twitching. Getting electrical sensation at night. What treatment should be done?

Neurologist
Question
I took an MRI 6 months ago when I started experiencing numbness and muscle spasms to check for multiple sclerosis. The MRI came back negative. 6 months later the numbness and tingling are back assosciated with muscle twitches. Is there any way that the lesions that cause MS were not detected 6 months ago? Are there any other explanations for numbness and muscle twitching? I get these intense electrical sensations at night prior to falling asleep that shoot to different parts of my body. When they shoot down my leg, they make my left quadricept tingle for a few seconds. The tingling is starting to continue throughout the day time.

Thank You
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

There are a couple of things which come to mind with the symptoms you report and none of them is life-threatening. Most of your symptoms looks to me like related to your anxiety and excessive preoccupation or worry about having a serious illness. The features mentioned to me does not looks like you are suffering from MS. It looks to me like you have a sensitive nervous system that under certain circumstances can lead to multiple neurological symptoms like numbness, muscle twitches and shooting pains in the body.

MRI of the brain is a very sensitive tool for the diagnosis of MS. As your symptoms are not suggestive of MS, MRI is normal. I feel there is no need for repeating an MRI for your current symptoms.

My recommendation for you is to see a clinical psychologist if you feel you are suffering from anxiety, stress and depression. If you notice additional Neurological symptoms you need to see a Neurologist for a good clinical examination and consultation in the future.

I want to reassure you that the symptoms does not indicate the MS in you at this point of time and these are not certainly something that is life-threatening.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.

Follow-up: Feeling numbness and muscle twitching. Getting electrical sensation at night. What treatment should be done? 20 minutes later
Thank you for your response. My only worry is that these symptoms mostly happen when I am in a relaxed state. Just before falling asleep and upon awakening. I do have anxiety from not knowing what is going on, but if it is happening when I am completely calm, it suggests that it may be something more than anxiety. My doctor prescribed Xanax because he also thought anxiety was playing a roll, and I take .50 mg before I go to bed... But I still get electrical sensations and numbness/tingling even after taking Xanax. I admit, I am very scared and anxious, but it's hard for me to accept anxiety as the sole cause of my symptoms. Even as I write now, my left quadricep is tingling. 6 months ago, it was twitching uncontrollably in the same spot. Are you sure it's anxiety? I just need reassurance.

Thank you

Hello

Thanks for the follow up query

Most often anxiety and related symptoms are seen during resting state. As most are busy during the day time we seldom pay attention to small problems and we often notice when we are in resting state. But it is unusual to have such symptoms after getting up in the early morning. However still I feel these are non-specific and unlikely to have any organic cause for these symptoms.

So I personally advise you to see your Neurologist for re-examination and consultation. If you have any positive neurological signs I advise you to get it evaluated in detail. If not you need to XXXXXXX a clinical psychologist for detailed assessment and behavioral therapy.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R