Feeling numbness and loss of sensation in ear. How to cure this problem?

Dear doctor,
This is about my son (13yrs old). Day before yesterday, we travelled from Delhi to Chennai by air, via Mumbai, which was almost 4:30 hours journey. During the second half of the journey, my son, 13 yrs old, slept well sitting in his seat leaning to the window. Now for the past 36 hrs, his left EXTERNAL EAR are numb and he lost touch sensation on his earlobs. He don't feel pain, even while pinching on his earlobes. No pain in ear or neck. From the start of ear canal to inwards he has perfect touch sensation. Parts around the ear are also has perfect sensation.

What is to be done to correct this problem?

Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your dilemma. I presume he was leaning on his left side towards the window while he was sleeping during the flight.

Persistent pressure for a long time can cause loss of sensation. Such loss of sensation is usually transient and should not last for more than a couple of hours. In your son's case, it is persisting for more than 36 hours and it shall be better to consult an ENT specialist who shall assess the problem.

We need to rule out possible nerve involvement here. In all probability, everything should turn out to be normal.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert in case you need any clarification.

Wishing your son all the best.