Feeling numb on left side of stomach. What can this be?

Left side of my stomach is numb and like a pulling sensation
It's all the way to my back the numbness
No pain
My physio is telling mr it's a pinch nerve , is it possible
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

The origin and evolution of the numbness might need to be precised.
For how long have you been experiencing this numbness?
How did it start? Any notion of trauma? Back pain? acute viral infection?
Any accompanying signs of this numbness like poor sphincter control? muscle wasting or muscle wasting?
The Physiotherapist could be right, but the opinion of a neurologist could be of much help.

It might be very useful in getting this information to propose a causal mechanism to this symptom that you experience. If it is accompanied by back pain or trauma, it’s possible that it should be a lesion of a nerve. This could be a spinal nerve compression, inflammation or section. Specific tests shall be asked then based on this clinical evaluation like X rays and MRIs.

It is very appropriate for you to book an appointment with the neurologist for a thorough clinical evaluation and management. Thanks and hope this helps. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.

Best regards,
Dr Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Feeling numb on left side of stomach. What can this be? 52 minutes later
It all started a day after I played a round of golf
But did not fell anything that day it started the day after
I have no pain in the back
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 24 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the clarifications,

This certainly as a traumatic/mechanical origin.

X rays of the spine, a CT scan and MRI are all important for a good diagnosis. A clinical evaluation by a neurologist coupled with these results of paraclinical exams should be sufficient to make an appropriate diagnosis, and draw up a management plan.

Suggest you consult your neurologist for a proper management.

Thanks and best regards,
Dr Luchuo, MD.