Feeling numb in lower lip. Had dizzy spells and pain in neck. What could it be?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015
Excellent

Question
When i wake up my lower lip feels numb
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly view the details

Detailed Answer:

Regarding the sensation of numbness in lower lip, kindly let us know about the following:
1. Any episode of recent acute illness?
2. Any history of injury or trauma to the lower lip or head and neck region?
3. Involuntary twitching of muscles can be due to neurological damage secondary to Hypertension & Diabetes (known as Hypertensive neuropathy & Diabetic neuropathy respectively).
Is there is significant past history of systemic disease like Diabetes, Hypertension, Thyroid disorder, etc. ?
4. Any recent history of Stress, inadequate hydration, improper nutrition & lack of sleep?
5. Habit of smoking or alcohol consumption?
6. Any other associated features like inability to concentrate or remember things, dizziness, visual disturbances, nausea, etc.?
7. Any history of prolonged intake of certain medications?

If your answer to the above mentioned questions is NO, then the symptoms can be attributed to inadequate hydration status & electrolyte imbalance of the body or dietary deficiencies of certain nutrients like Iron, Calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin B 12, Folic acid, etc. which help in blood formation & nerve conduction.

Symptomatic relief can be obtained by intake of nervigenic agents as well as multivitamin & multimineral supplements including iron, calcium & Vit D needs to be added in your diet.

If you still find any difficulty, kindly get certain investigations like fresh estimation of blood pressure & blood sugar levels, Thyroid profile & nerve conduction studies to rule out any pathological cause for the symptoms.

There is no need to worry, you will be fine.
Till then, maintain adequate hydration & proper nutrition status, exercise regularly and avoid stress.

Wishing you a Good Health.
Please let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.

Follow-up: Feeling numb in lower lip. Had dizzy spells and pain in neck. What could it be? 53 minutes later
I have had dizzy spells in the past and recently. Also started with a pain in my neck which i found it uncomfortable to move my neck around. This comes and goes. But almost 3 weeks ago i had an uncomfortable pain when i hunched my shoulders in the neck area. I went to gp they said it was a pulled muscle. I now have pain when i lie on my right hand side that radiates to the centre of my back. Also pain in neck area on right side like it is tensing up. Also have ringing in my ears and like i can hear my own heartbeat. Was dianosed with raynauds as one of my fingers would go numb when cos this now happens in my thumb and two first fingers . Ive noticed over the past few months when u wake up my arms are always numb same sensation as my lip. Like ive laid on it funny.

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Compression of nerve

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up query.

The symptoms can be attributed to compression of nerve in the neck region.
Sensation of pain while lying on right hand side that radiates to centre of back & numbness of arms while waking up is indicative of it.

As I have mentioned in my previous answer, symptomatic relief can be obtained by intake of nervigenic agents (Vit B6, Vit B12 & Folic acid) as well as multivitamin & multimineral supplements including iron, calcium & Vit D needs to be added in your diet.
Physiotherapy exercises will be helpful in strengthening as well as relaxation of the neck muscles.
Also take care of your sleeping posture.
Avoid use of thick pillows which puts strain on neck muscles.

If symptoms still persist, kindly visit a Neurologist for proper clinical examination including nerve conduction studies.

Wishing you a Good Health.