Feeling nose ring in the upper back of throat. What are the complications?

ENT Specialist
I had a very small guage nose ring break while taking it out of my nose. I could not reach the piece inside the nose and believe I can feel it in the upper back of my throat. Geesh
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 57 minutes later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of the information provided it appears that a part of the nose ring has moved backwards from nasal cavity towards the posterior end. The posterior end of nose communicates with nasopharynx(part of throat at the back of nose ). I would advise you for a urgent ENT consultation and diagnostic nasal endoscopy and nasopharyngoscopy (examination of nose and nasopharynx with a telescope).
Nasopharynx lower down opens in oropharynx and then continues in hypopharynx and food pipe posteriorly and wind pipe anteriorly. There a risk that this piece of nose ring may enter into airway or foof pipe. This could further worsen the situation.
I would also advise you to
Plan an urgent ENT consultation
Avoid self removal as this can further complicate the situation.
Avoid moving your head backwards as this could aid in movement of foreign body in the airway.

I hope this answers your concern

with regards
Ravinder Sharma