Feeling neuropathy in the upper chest and back. No rashes. Shingles?

I am experiencing neuropathy on my left side upper chest region around to my back...feels like shingles, which I have had before, but no evidence of rash
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 40 minutes later

Thanks for asking.

Herpes zoster (or simply zoster), commonly known as shingles and also known as zona, is a viral disease characterized by a painful skin rash with blisters in a limited area on one side of the body, often in a stripe.

The earliest symptoms of herpes zoster, which include headache, fever, and malaise, are nonspecific.These symptoms are commonly followed by sensations of burning pain, itching, hyperesthesia (over sensitivity), or paresthesia ("pins and needles": tingling, pricking, or numbness) The pain may be mild to extreme in the affected dermatome, with sensations that are often described as stinging, tingling, aching, numbing or throbbing, and can be interspersed with quick stabs of agonizing pain.

In most cases after one to two days, but sometimes as long as three weeks, the initial phase is followed by the appearance of the characteristic skin rash.

So as you are experiencing the pain/burning in a particular area, the chances of herpes is high, rash may appear after some days if it is herpes.

I will advise you to wait to see how it goes, unfortunately nothing you can do at this stage to stop it if it is herpes.

If you do not get a rash,and the symptoms worsens, please consult a doctor to look for other causes of neuropathy.

If you have any other queries please let me know.