Feeling needle pain on the left chest and its shifting pain.

This is Mayur Malviya and i am 29 yrs and wth is 93 Kgs hight 174 cm .
Since few days i am feeling needle pain on left chest and its shifting pain, some time down some time up and i went to doc in Jabalpur but still i am not satisfied with then pls help on this matter at the earlist
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 18 minutes later

Having a left sided chest pain, that is radiating to the left arm is almost always considered to be due to cardiac issues. Hence proper evaluation is necessary.

But a few factors that can increase the risk of having cardiac chest pain include: smoking, stress, obesity, hypertension, diabetes, increased cholesterol, etc.

But since you are very young, though it is highly unlikely, it is necessary to do a few tests which include the following:-
‎1. Troponin -T and CPK-MB
‎2. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2

In case the above tests indicate any abnormality, further tests need to be done which include:-
1. Echocardiography
‎2. Tread mill test
‎3. Thallium scan (Myocardial perfusion scintigraphy)

The other possibilities that can present as chest pain include respiratory causes, gastrointestinal and musculoskeletal.

The pain also could be due to musculoskeletal inflammation - This can be diagnosed if the pain ‎increases on specific movements or on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to ‎medications like Ibuprofen 400 mg taken three times a day. This generally resolves within a week. ‎

Pneumonitis Or Pleuritis : Here the pain increases on XXXXXXX breaths and is associated with symptoms ‎like cough, expectoration of mucus or purulent sputum, etc.

GERD: This is a common condition that can cause people to worry that they have heart conditions. But this condition usually subsides ‎after taking Antacids or proton pump inhibitors , like Omeprazole, or H2 blockers like Ranitidine.

It is important to rule out the exact cause after physical examination and above mentioned investigations.

Hence, it would be very essential to consult a doctor you trust, for a complete examination and proper treatment.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to consult me if you have further questions or doubts.

Dr Deepak Anvekar.
Follow-up: Feeling needle pain on the left chest and its shifting pain. 1 hour later
So wht should i do ple send me ans in normal language not in medically language
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 41 minutes later

In case your pain is very tolerable and does not make you feel very sick you can follow the few suggestions mentioned here.

For pain of musculoskeletal inflammation - That is, if the pain ‎increases on specific movements or on direct pressure on the affected area, you can benefit by taking -

1. Ibuprofen 400 mg taken three times a day for 4 -5 days , or until the pain lasts.
2. Apply a Voveran Cream or VOLINI spray on the affected part. This should reduce the pain.
3. Take adequate rest and relax. Stress can increase musculoskeletal pain.

In case your pain is of burning nature and increases after lunch or dinner, it could be due to gastritis. In such a case take

1. Use some gelusil or Mucaine gel syrup - 3 tsp , everytime after meals
2. Take Omeprazole cap 20 mg twice daily for 2 weeks , 30 minutes before meals.

In case the above measures do not help you, we may need a few tests to diagnose the cause of the chest pain for proper resolution. I would like you to do a few tests as mentioned below.

1. Complete blood count,
2. Urinalysis
3. Troponin -T and CPK-MB
‎4. ECG.
5. A chest X XXXXXXX - PA view -
6. Barium studies and / or A upper GI endoscopy - to rule out gastritis, duodenal ulcers etc.

The results of these tests will help to detemine the cause of your pain and guide the further treatment.

I hope this helps to clear your doubts.