Feeling nauseous, having watery stool, headache and weakness with no fever. Required treatment?

I am a 67 year old female visiting Mexico and have had watery stools, headachy, no fever, weakness for three days. After a short walk today felt faintish and nauseous. I had taken activated charcoal for two days. Saw a doctor who prescribed 500 mg Ciprofloxacina every 12 hours for 7 days, 30 mg Hidrasec every 8 hours for 5 days and Enterogermina every 12 hours for 7 days. All this without any blood or stool testing. Does this sound like overkill - can I wait another day before taking all these meds? Today I haven't eaten anything, just taking coke. I did have a sinus infection three weeks ago and had antibiotics for ten days (Biactin ) if I remember correctly.
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 58 minutes later
It sounds like you are experiencing gastroenteritis.
The reason that you felt faintish and nauseous is because of the fluid you are losing via the stool, your body is trying to say that it needs replacement fluids.
Other indicators of inadequate fluid in the body would be a decrease in the need to urinate, dry skin, skin tenting( when the skin is pulled up , it stays up), dizziness or lightheadness, increase in pulse rate or a drop in blood pressure.
You need to replace the fluids that you are losing, you can use gatorade or replacement salts mixed with water.Every time that you stool drink some to replace the fluids that you just lost.
Avoid juices or carbonated drinks because they can actually worsen the diarrhoea.
Avoid eating for now because your intestine cannot absorb any food and when you use solids it would just result in diarrhoea.
Use yogurt which contain probiotics - these will help repair the intestine and will speed your recovery.
1. You can start by eating soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken ~ no skin, etc.
2.Replace lost fluid and salts:Take broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables.
3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm tea or water as long as symptoms persist, Raw fruits and vegetables, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine,etc.
You can start with the antibiotics as prescribed to you now. It is not an overdose or too much for you. You can also take Lomotil twice a day along with the diet I have suggested.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Feeling nauseous, having watery stool, headache and weakness with no fever. Required treatment? 1 hour later
So are you saying I don't need to take the Hidrasec or Enterogermina, only the antibiotic Ciprofloxacina? What is the purpose of Lomotil? How long before I start taking food?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Enterogermina is a probiotic also known as bacillus clausii that is used to restore the gut flora and helps in early recovery from watery diarrhoea.
Hidrasec is Racecadotril which is given to control viral diarrhoea. You can start with both of these. You have been given the right treatment.
Lomotil will decrease the water loss from your intestines and will help you feel better.
You can start taking the food once the watery diarrhoea stools reduce in frequency to less than 6 stools in 12 hours.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.