Feeling nauseous, having cramps in stomach and noticed a clot. Is it a normal period?

Mar 2013
Hi There, my perid was due Nov 13/13 (28 Day Cycle). Throughout this week, i was very nauseous to vomitting. Nov 15 evening i started getting really bad cramps, Nov 16, started bleeding, thought it was my normal period just a few days late. (I'm usually right on time). I had a little clotting, which is normal. Nov 18 early afternoon i stopped bleeding. Today (Nov 19) in the afternoon i went to the bathroom as my stomach was not feeling well, passed a clot and have full on bleeding again. My stomach is having cramps (Like I normally do with my period). On November 14th/15th i took a few HPT's (My husband and I are trying to conceve) but they were negative. Should I take another HPT or see a dr. or does this sound like a normal period? (My normal periods are cramping a day or 2 before starting, 3 days of flow and done).
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello THanks for your query. As your HPT is negative, you are most probably not pregnant ( these tests are upto 97 % effective in detection of pregnancy ). There can exist the following possibilities - 1. This is a period, albeit different from normal from you in terms of altered amount and pattern of bleeding. This could be normal once in a while, or due to stress, weight gain, changes in diet or sleep, hypothyroidism etc. 2. You probably had an early pregnancy miscarriage ( might not be picked up by HPT ) or a pregnancy complication like an ectopic pregnancy. 3. Conditions like polycystic ovaries , endometrial hyperplasia - the lining of the uterus thickens, so a clot , tissue like thing is passed with heavy bleeding and cramps and slight delay of periods. For your question, taking another HPT would not help. You can wait and watch , and if the bleeding subsides in a few days by itself , nothing needs to be done. If the bleeding outstays the length of your normal period, do see a doctor to rule out the above possibilities. If , at any point of time, you have unnatural cramps, dizziness , syncopal attacks - do see a doctor right away. All the best Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: Feeling nauseous, having cramps in stomach and noticed a clot. Is it a normal period? 4 minutes later
Thank you very much for the reply! We've been trying to conceive for awhile and I feel foolish rushing into the Dr's office with every symptom! Have a great day.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hey ! Thank you for the appreciation. All the best to you, may you be blessed soon. You too take care. Feel free to contact me directly anytime at - WWW.WWWW.WW