Feeling nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, headache and body ache. What is causing this?

I have been sick for 6 days now. nausea, vomiting,upset stomach, headache and body ache. Usually i want to sleep but on this occasion i have been wide awake unable to sleep and having the worst depressing thoughts of all the negative things in my life, to the point of wishing suicide. I feel very mentally unstable and this is very strange.
day 1- extreme abdominal bloating leading to vomiting and running stomach. thoughts wide awake and could not sleep.
day 2- extreme fatigue, nasea and extreme headache with disturbing thoughts and could not sleep.
day 3- as above but thoughts were running wild causing distress.
day 4 - extreme abdominal bloating to running stomach, extreme headache and disturbing thoughts
day 5 - extreme headache, fatigue and slept almost 24 hrs
day 6 - extreme headache, fatigue, tired and depressed. seem to have lost alot of muscle mass and any enthusiasm for anything. thoughts of things i love doing makes me want to vomit.
is this the virus effecting my head? is this normal? does this even sound like a virus?? I have never been sick for longer than 2 days in my life before.
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 22 minutes later

I went through the details provided with diligence and I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

You reported multiple symptoms arising from different body systems and I must say, without an opportunity to examine, it is hard to understand the relations. Nevertheless, headache and fatigue may be related to viral infection involving the sinuses. Nausea, reduced appetite, tiredness and other GI disturbances may be related; however if these are the predominant symptoms other possibilities need to be ruled out too.

My advice to you will be to try steam inhalation 5 to 6 times a day. You can add small amount of Vicks vaporubs / Karval Plus capsule into the water used for steam inhalation for better results. You can also gargle with warm salt water for other benefits. If the headache is intense you can use over the counter available pain killers.

Viral infections are self resolving and the symptoms should improve faster with the aforementioned measures. If symptoms do not improve feel free to visit your doctor for detailed examination and evaluation.

Regarding your depressive thoughts which also include suicidal tendencies, I advise you to speak about this with the close ones and family. You can also consider consulting a psychiatrist for counselling if things are not good and disturbing.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope I have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Feeling nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, headache and body ache. What is causing this? 23 hours later
Thanks Doctor
I am starting to feel alot better and as the virus is leaving my thoughts seem to be coming back to normal. I still have a massive headache when i roll my eyes. terrible.
Like I said I am a sportsman, and train hard to build and keep muscle BUT i have lost soo much muscle weight in 6 days. My pants are baggy and all the muscle on my chest and shoulders has gone. Very this even possible to lose muscle so quick??
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 20 hours later
Good to hear from you.

As i have not examined you it is difficult to say. I think it might be your subjective feeling as you have been ill. It is unlikely that you have lost so much of muscle as that would be characteristic of only long term, wasting diseases or severe, acute illness. However, it will be better if you see GP near your place for examination.

As you have been doing good I think it is simple viral infection that you had suffered and you will be fine.

Hope I have answered your question. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.