Feeling nausea, dizzy, swelling and heaviness in head. What is causing this?

What could cause me to feel extremely dizzy out of nowhere. I experience this at least once a month and it will last about 1 hr go away and come back a few times throughout the day. But, not daily. I feel like I was given the medicine they give you right before surgery. I also feel like my head is swollen or heavy when this happens. Sometimes I will get a nauseous feeling and feel like im going to pass out but dont pass out.
Other than the occasional tongue swelling and occasional dizziness. I cant complain about much else, I rarely get sick. I feel awesome about 95% of the year. These two things are the only things that have bothered me in the last 7 years.
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

The symptoms you explained are typically seen in conditions where the blood supply to the brain is hampered temporarily.This can happen due to atheromas in the carotid artery. Such atheromas are commonly seen in people with high cholesterol.

The other possibility for such an episode of dizziness is a cardiac problem , where the heart has rhythm disturbances leading to improper circulation.

I suggest you to first ascertain the cardiac well being by getting a 24 hour holter EKG , then go for Carotid artery doppler to rule out atheromas in the it.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.