Feeling nausea, bloated, noticed increase in appetite and tender breasts. Should I get tested for pregnancy?

Mar 2013
possibly pregnantI believe I might be pregnant. I had sex back in October and had a "period" in November. I have my period every three months due to birth control. The past 2 weeks I have had an increased appetite, tender breasts, and I often feel bloated. I even have been nauseated from certain smells/foods I've eaten. I'm trying to see when should index to take a pregnancy test.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 minutes later
I would appreciate it if you could provide me with the details of your birth control method, as well as your menstrual diary over the past 2 - 3 months, that is, exact dates of your period , duration, flow etc.
It would help me address your query better.
Take care and looking forward to hearing from you.
Follow-up: Feeling nausea, bloated, noticed increase in appetite and tender breasts. Should I get tested for pregnancy? 24 minutes later
May 12, August 9, November 9 are the dates of my last 3 periods. the name of my birth control is Jolessa, the generic version of Seasonique. it's a 91 day pill pack. November's per up was slightly lighter than the other 2 and my periods usually last about 4days, with a flow of heavy to light. I also started getting steroids injections for traction alopecia which started last month.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 20 minutes later

Thanks for writing back. The following are my comments:

1. I assume you are still on Jolessa. And so, even without a pregnancy you would have your period sometime in February.

2. The failure rate when on Jolessa is very less - it is only 1% per year; but the risk increases if it’s your first year of use and if you accidentally missed a pill.

3. I would also like to tell you that steroid also can cause a lot of the symptoms that you have described - bloating, increased appetite etc.
In fact, oral contraceptive pill use also causes symptoms of bloating, breast discomfort etc.

4. Therefore in brief, the symptoms you described may be attributed to medication and not necessarily pregnancy. The possibility that you could be pregnant is minimal; however you can safely go for pregnancy testing (using home pregnancy kit) within a week or two (by January 12th) to convincingly rule out pregnancy.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have doubts/clarifications.