Feeling nausea and having strange sensation in stomach. All medical test normal. What is wrong?

Hi there, I'm having issues where I tend to feel sick fairly often. Mostly nauseated. So far over 8 months, i've had 12 blood tests done, a scan on my lower abdomen, a sleep test and mri done on my head and lastly an upper endoscopy. Everything has turned up normal but none of my symptoms have gone away. It seems like every few days I get really, really sick to where I just want to lay down for the entire day. It seems like everything has been done to me that CAN be but I still don't have any answers as to what could potentially be wrong. I've been told it could be IBS because it shares some of the symptoms however one of the strange issues is that my stomach constantly growls when I lay down. This is the main thing that's concerning me is that my stomach sounds as if it is just in this constant state of bubbling. Is there any suggestions on something to calm it down?
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 3 hours later

Thanks for your query in XXXXXXX

After going through your history it seems that you have a chronic infection or inflammation of small intestine. It will not be picked up on endoscopies as the scope does not reach there. You can try the following things to diagnose yourself at home.

1) As you may be having indigestion of milk or milk products, you may stop their intake for a few days and observe for any changes.

2) Juice can also cause similar symptoms, thus you may refrain from their intake.

3) Take high fiber diet consisting of fruits and fresh leafy vegetables like lettuce.

4) Antibiotic use can also lead to chronic indigestion and diarrhea. You may use yogurt and probiotics to help with it.

5) Take hygienic food and clean water. Drinking water from natural sources and tap water can also cause gastro-intestinal infections. Try to get water with minimum ppm as it will be the cleanest.

6) It can also be an infection like giardia or parasites. Thus get a stool test done to rule it out.

7) Pepto-bismol is an over-the-counter syrup that can help with mild indigestion and Gastro-intestinal infection.

IBS is usually a diagnosis of exclusion and is seen as alternating diarhea and constipation in the setting of some stress.

Take care. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee Punj