Feeling nausea and bloating. What is causing this and suggest some cure?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have had bouts of nausea on and off for about 20 years and have seen doctor - been given metaclopramide but that only eases the symptoms. At the moment it is especially bad and I have noticed it comes on when I am sitting down, maybe hunched up. I have never vomited from this, just very bad constant nausea. Mints ease the symptoms too. I have no problem eating and feel ok afterwards. I get bloated easily and when my clothes become tight I feel sick, or if I am too hot it comes on too. I work at a computer full time. I have had one other very bad episode this year in April that ended up with me having vertigo. This time the sickness had lasted longer (just over a week now) but I have not had any dizzy spells.
Posted Sun, 9 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your query.

Since you feel ok after eating and that you get abdominal bloating and wearing tight clothes makes you feel sick, you most probably are having gastroparesis and gastroesophageal reflux disease. In gastroparesis, the motility of the stomach is affected making the food stay in the stomach for a longer time causing bloating and nausea. That is probably why you feel better with metaclopramide which facilitates motility of the gastrointestinal tract.
An upper GI endoscopy, gastric emptying scan and a 24 hours pH monitoring may be done for confirmation.
A less likely cause is inner ear issue as you have had vertigo also. Inner ear problems can cause nausea and vertigo.
I hope that answers your question.

If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Feeling nausea and bloating. What is causing this and suggest some cure? 9 hours later
Thank you.
If I was to have the procedures and they confirm what you have said would there be anything that could be done to prevent the problem or is it something I have to control myself with food and tablets?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 4 hours later
If it is gastroesophageal reflux disease you may have to take tablets for about 4-8 weeks.
Lifestyle changes should also be done.
-Avoiding coffee, citrus, tomatoes, fatty food, chocolates, alcohol, smoking.
-Weight reduction if obese.
-Eating smaller and frequent meals.
-Avoiding bedtime snacks.
-Going to bed 2-3 hours after food.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini