Feeling muscles contraction in fingers. What medicine I can take to cure it?

Question
Hi doctor I am 40 plus years old and feeling muscles contraction in fingers for the last 2 , 3 months. What medicine I can take to cure it.
Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you so much for this query. I am Dr. Ditah and feel honored having this opportunity to address your health question today. I am so sorry to hear about this muscle contraction you have been having for the past2/3months.

Please, can you describe in some more details the exact manifestation of this muscle contraction? I will like to ask the following questions.
1. which fingers/hand are affected? How long the contractions last?
2. is there any particular thing which makes it to start? get worse? Get better?
3. When do you most have this problem? early hours of the day/At night/during work?
4. What is your typical daily task? Does it involves using the fingers that much?
5. is it the very first time you are having this?
6. is it getting progressively worse/same/better in intensity and or frequency?
7. is there any pain associated?
8. Do you take any stimulants like coffee/caffeine etc
9. Are there any drugs you are taking now?
10. Are there any other problems you may want to report?
11. Do you have similar problems any where else in the body?

Please, I will like to have these responses at your earliest convenience. the question is not so precise and I want to avoid giving generalities rather than addressing your problem. depending on the answers I will address your question more at a personal level.

Please, I do hope you understand the importance of getting more information from you. Hope to hear from you soon.
Dr. Ditah, MD.

Follow-up: Feeling muscles contraction in fingers. What medicine I can take to cure it? 6 hours later
>>>contraction lasts for few seconds. It occurs in fingers of both hands. Some times in lower part or fingers of legs. Contraction in lower part of legs happen only at night.
>>if I keep my fingers in air specially for catching/operating some thing like mouse of computer, holding mobile phone etc.
>> during day time when I am either at work or at home.
>>I work in Sales administration, it is basically a sedentary work, wherein I have to sit on computer through out day.
>>Yes, it started 2-3 months ago after I had pain in my right shoulder which was almost frozen. I contacted an orthopaedic doctor who got some tests of vitamins, calcium, uric acid, reactive protein. All tests were normal except the reactive protein level was very high. The pain in the shoulder is no more.
>>Its occurring is increasing.
7. is there any pain associated?
>>No
>>No.
No.
>>Some times I feel pain in lower part on the right side of abdomen
>>some times in both legs.

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 17 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thank you so much for providing answers to my questions above.
I am so sorry for this delayed response. I have had a very busy day. Hope you accept to bear with me.

From the review of your symptoms and the answers you have provided above, this muscle contractions are very non specific and don't represent any real pathology. It seems to be more related to your daily activity and the positioning of your hand. This is even more plausible seen that this pain is absent at night and when you are for sure resting.

I will not want to think of electrolytes imbalance (like calcium and magnesium) at this time seen that you had done these test before and the current findings are not in support of it.

My suggestions now are to try physical measures. Try to get the hand relaxed as often as possible, stretch it from time to time when resting, try and identify a more comfortable position for resting the hand, try to make your work surface comfortable to keep the hand at the same levels as the key board to avoid over straining during working etc. These measures should help. No medications at this time are going to make any major difference.

Hope this answers your query. I wish you well and all the best of health.
If you should have further questions related to this, I a ready and ore than happy to address them.
Once more, thank you so much for this opportunity to contribute to your health needs. I sincerely apologise for the delay in response for the reasons above. We provide rapid and very professional services.
Dr. Ditah, MD.