Feeling lump in the throat. Tonsils not enlarged. Need advice

ENT Specialist
Hello, i know this might sound crazy, but i woke up this morning gagging because i felt a lump in my throat.. i took a look in the mirror and saw that my right tonsil that i have problems with was gone. What does this mean?
age 18 , 5'2
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 2 hours later

Thanks for the query,

Well, nothing to worry. It is just a minor entity that a large number of people encounter.

Let me explain this condition for you. There may me 2 possibilities for this condition---

1- Attack of acute tonsillitis.

2- Peritonsillar abscess.

Most probably, you may have the attack of acute tonsillitis that usually presents as a lump in throat. It usually resolves itself in a period of a week or less (that was your case) If the problem persists, then following treatment is recommended from our side.

1- Course of antibiotic, amoxycillin + clavulinic acid.

2- antiallergic and decongestant .

3- antiinfalmmatory like paracetamol.

4- A good vitamin and mineral supplement. Please consult your doctor for a prescription of the same.

All these for next 5 days.

Hope this will help you out and I am ready for future follow up queries (if any).