Feeling like heart beat is skipping for few second. Getting nervous. Looking for suggestion

doctor from 1 week ,i am feeling my heart beat is sikkiping everyday 3-4 times,the duration is only a 1 sec. I am getting nervous .I am 35 years old lady. Otherwise i am feeling ok.Please suggest
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Depending upon your cardiovascular and general health status, the presence of skipped heartbeats may or may not be cause for concern.
These skipped beats are calked as premature ventricular contractions ( PVC )

The initial impulse to start the heartbeat occurs in the sinoatrial node located in the top chambers of your heart. The impulse then travels down a series of pathways until it reaches the lower chambers of your heart known as the ventricles. The ventricles are the powerful pumping chambers that send the blood to your lungs and the rest of your body. It is here in the ventricles that sometimes the electrical system works out of sequence and produces what is known as a premature ventricular contraction or PVC.
These PVC can occur due to psychological stress,due to consumption of lot of caffeinated products,due to some coronary ailment or sometimes due to exercises.

In the presence of cardiovascular disease, PVCs can mean that your heart is under significant stress. If the PVCs produce symptoms such as shortness of breath, chest pain, dizziness then these signs are indicators that your heart is not functioning properly.
Just keep a watch on your beats and your symptoms.
If you ever feel that frequency of your PVC have increased or some associated symptoms have developed,then you should consult a cardiologist and get evaluated properly.
For the time being,nothing is to be done except wait and watch.
Reduce your caffeine intake and take care of your stress levels by doing XXXXXX breathing exercises and yoga.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck