Feeling lightheadedness. How to get rid of this?

Lightheadedness that I have is relieved by belching - usually 6 to 8 hours after eating
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 9 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX ,Welcome to healthcare magic!The light headedness can be due to the adverse effects of methotrexate or due to decreased heart rate or momentary fall of BP due to Atenolol.There is no need to take methotrexate by infusion, the drug is well absorbed if taken orally as well. Ask your doctor to set a weekly oral dose for you.You should also take Folate supplement to decrease toxicity of methotrexate.If atenolol is causing the Decreased heart rate and fall in BP then you need to switch the antihypertensive under the supervision of your physician.I hope the advise would be helpful for you.
Follow-up: Feeling lightheadedness. How to get rid of this? 14 hours later
Thank you - will follow up on the toxicity of medication. Can it be determined whether my stomach produces too much acid or too little acid- I ask this to see if I can control the belching by a certain diet. Too much gas settles in my system. I have no GERD or Heartburn or stomach discomfort. I do have a hiatal (sp?) Hernia. I appreciate this opportunity. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 22 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,Welcome back.The acid output can be measured but it is basically a research tool and rarely used to check for hormon secreting tumors. Clinician use indirect method, they check for effect of acid in the stomach by endoscopy to get an idea of acid output.Belching is not related to acid secretions in stomach rather it can be due to hiatus hernia, it is caused by the air swallowed with food intake that get trapped and produces strange discomfort. So you should chew the food thoroughly and swallow considerate way. You should take a glass of water in between the meal to give escape passage to the air.You can also get examined by a gastroenterologist of your locality to settle the treatment part. Prokinetics and antacid drugs are helpful and should be taken under prescription.I hope this would be helpful for you.