Feeling light headed, ringing ears, weakness and having sleepless night. How to get relief?

I am light headed and weak/feel faint. I also have a 'head pressure' feeling and ringing in my ears. have just spent 3 days in bed after suspected food poisoning and passed out on day 1 whilst vomiting. (Sunday) Received 2 bags of fluid in hospital and was sent home and in that respect feel much better. Today is day 4. BO is 120/80 so i am confused why I still feel so weak & lethargic.. Too long in bed? I should add that I had a totally sleepiness night & general bad action to the anti sickness drug they gave me. But that passed after it's half life (yesterday). Last night I was able to sleep properly.. Am I better? Should I get up and go bout my business or go back to bed? I am concerned tha if I over indulge myself in laying in bed I will just end up feeling worse for laying in bed another day...??? YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 19 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Your description typically suggests ear, as possible cause. ‘Light head / ringing / weak / feel faint / vomiting” all point to it. A bit vague though - if there is definite sense of rotation, it is vertigo. The body's balancing mechanism is in the inner ear. An ENT (Ear Nose Throat) specialist is the one to see - especially in the presence of tinnitus. They have special tests to confirm or exclude the contribution of the ear - which probably is the case with you.

If it is from getting up from bed, it may be from postural hypo-tension.. Did you check your BP?
It can be from anaemia – what is your haemoglobin?
Has an ECG been done?
Hopefully, ECG, blood pressure, blood counts and other investigations have been done and are normal?

You can get out of bed – but be at home for a day. Go slow and have help at hand – beware of fall.

If there are no clues, you have to be followed up by a neurologist. MRI may be needed. MRA (MRI angiography) shows blood vessels and is generally done at the same sitting.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck