Feeling light headed, pain in ear, uncomfortable and heaviness in stomach. What should be done?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
hi, I have been having stomach problems for a couple of weeks now, feeling full after small portions and it's just feeling heavy and uncomfortable. I am also a bit light headed and i have a shooting pain in my left ear
Posted Sun, 6 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 40 minutes later

Thanks for writing your query.

It will be helpful if you please also tell about the consistency and colour of your stools.

Fullness of abdomen after eating can be due to many causes, common being the dietary habits. Talking while eating or eating fast can result in swallowing of more air leading to feeling of fullness after meals. Some foods increase gas production like legumes, peas, cabbage, etc. This also result in fullness and discomfort in abdomen after eating.

You can take antacid like Omeprazole 20 mg once a day along with Domperidone 10 mg early in the morning for relief of your symptoms of fullness. If you have not de-wormed yourself recently, you should do de-worming by taking Albendazole 400 mg at night. Above said medications should be taken only after consulting with your treating doctor.

Following investigations will be helpful:-
1. Liver Function Test (LFT)
2. Renal Profile
3. Complete Blood Count (CBC)
4. Stool examination

Lightheaded feeling can be due to decrease in blood pressure, which can be due to decreased food intake due to feeling of fullness after small meals. Therefore, you should get your blood pressure recorded. It can also be due to decrease in hemoglobin, which can be known by investigation of CBC, mentioned above. It can also be due to a problem in your ear (which can be the cause of your ear pain), which can be examined by your ENT specialist.

For pain in your left ear, I would like to know:-
1. Whether there is any history of injury on your ear or head?
2. Is there any discharge from your ear?

You can take painkiller like Ibuprofen after meals for relief of pain in the ear. You should get your ear examined by an ENT specialist. You should not put any drops in your ear unless prescribed by your ENT specialist.

This advice is according to your symptoms. Best step will be to get yourself examined by your doctor and do the needful.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any doubts, I will be happy to help.
Follow-up: Feeling light headed, pain in ear, uncomfortable and heaviness in stomach. What should be done? 1 hour later
Thanks for the quick response. Stool is normal, nothing out of ordinary. Worth noting is that I am expecting my period as well. so my stool is usually a bit soft before periods which is the case now.

I don't have any history of injury to the head and ear, and no discharge. Just shooting pain in the canal that comes and goes, maybe only twice a day.

I took Gaviscon liquid and i feel a bit better, but my stomach is still sore when pressure is applied. I am burping a lot these days as well which wasn't the case before my stomach pain. I do smoke as well so I guess it's not helping.

I am seeing a gastroenterologist tomorrow but the reason I panicked today is that I googled all symptoms and it says it could be early symptoms of a heart attack/disease (specially the shooting ear pain). I did have an ECG a couple of months back because my heart rate is usually very high without activity (92) but the ECG was fine according to the doc.

Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
It is nice that you have normal stools. The pain in the stomach and burping can be due to gastritis. You should avoid smoking as it also has bad affects on the stomach layer.

You may continue taking Gaviscon liquid as it helps in treating gastritis by forming a protective coating over the damaged layer. It is a good decision on your part that you are going to see Gastroenterologist tomorrow.

You should not worry because your symptoms are not indicating towards heart attack. Increase in heart rate can be due to many factors like emotional/physical stress, hyperthyroidism, fever, anemia and also smoking. Along with other investigations I have mentioned earlier, get yourself investigated also for T3,T4,TSH (to rule out thyroid disorder) and for Lipid Profile.

You should also contact ENT specialist for examination of your ear if the pain does not subside.

I hope this is helpful to you. Let me know if you have any further questions.