Feeling light headed. Failing to balance and feel like falling always. Cause?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
I HAVE BEEN TO SERVERAL DR.S ALL THE TEST TH DO COME BACK CLEAN. I HAVE HAVE AN MRI, MULIPLE BLOOD TEST AND AN XRAY.
I GET LIGHTHEADED AND HAVE TROUBLE WALKING A LINE. THEY HAVE HAVE ME DO THE SOBRIETY WALK AND I END UP FALLING TO THE WALL. I FELL DRUNK ALL OF THE TIME WHEN I AM WALKING. IF I STAY IN THE SAME POSITION I AM FINE, BUT THE TRIP TO THE SHOWER IN THE AM IS VERY HARD, I STAGGED ALL OF THE WAY.
WHEN GOLFING I SEEM TO SWAY BACK AND WHILE BOLWING I TEND TO LEAN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. I CANNOT CONTROL MOVEMENTS. MY FATHER HAS PARKINSON, THE DR.S HAVE RULED THAT OUT, THEY HAVE RULED OU VERTIGO, AND MS ALSO
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated details along with mentioned.
Do you have loss of sensation in both lower limbs including sole?
Do you have ear ache/ pus discharge from either ear?

With the available described details with normal MRI brain suggests the possibility of sensory ataxia or labyrnthitis induced vertigo.
Balance is maintained by cerebellum, inner ear and sensory inputs from surroundings.
Although you have defined normal MRI scan brain but there could also be possibility of cerebellar disease; swaying to either side and back suggests the diagnosis.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ neurologist and should go for thorough neurological check up.
Neurological examination by treating doctor is mandatory to rule out sensory deficit as it could not be picked up by MRI/ CT scan brain.
You should also go for complete blood count, serum Vitamin B12, folic acid, nerve conduction studies of both lower limb.
You should also consult with ENT surgeon and should go for endoscopic evaluation of ear.

Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile, you should take antioxidants, multivitamins and pregabalin/ gabapentin.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava