Feeling lazy and unmotivated with an anger issue. Am I suffering from ADHD?

Ive always thought i was just lazy and unmotivated with an anger issue until my boyfriend said i might be suffering from adhd i dont know much about it but i took a quiz online and it said its highly likely i dont have health insurance so i dont have a doctor.... Any advice on my next step?
Posted Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in ADHD
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 3 hours later
I'm sorry you're having problems. Although online questionnaires can be helpful, they are by no means 100% accurate for determining who has ADHD and who doesn't. That's because there's a good deal of overlap between ADHD and a number of other disorders, including Oppositional-Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Major Depression and Anxiety Disorder. It takes some in-depth evaluation to pinpoint a diagnosis in most cases.
I understand your insurance situation. However, eventually you'll need to see a healthcare professional to get your situation addressed. If you're still in school you might be able to get a preliminary evaluation with one of your college counselors. County mental health departments and community health clinics are additional resources that don't cost as much as walking into a regular doctor's office. I'm not familiar with your region, but a web search showed several low-cost clinics in your area: Northwest Family Health Center in Arlington Heights, Genesis Center in Des Plaines, and Heartland Health Center in Chicago, for example. Many churches also have qualified counselors who can refer you to an income-based physician.
In any event, you should see a qualified health professional as soon as possible. If you do suffer from ADHD (or any other mental health problem), getting treatment will allow you to function more effectively.
I hope that helps. I'll be available for further questions if necessary. Good luck!