Feeling jittery at night. Why does it wake me up from sleep?

Feel jittery, just at night and also when taking a nap and in fact makes me wake up while trying to sleep. Been occuring the last couple of days. Menstruation time too. Age 42.
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Feeling of jitterriness only during nap or sleep initiation raise the possibility of restless leg syndrome in your case.

This syndrome is characterized by a desire to move the legs or arms, associated with uncomfortable sensations typically described as creeping, crawling, tingling, burning, or itching. Frequent movements of the limbs occur in an effort to relieve the uncomfortable sensations. Symptoms are worse when the individual is at rest and in the evening or night, and they are relieved temporarily by movement.

The uncomfortable sensations and limb movements can delay sleep onset, awaken the individual from sleep, and lead to daytime sleepiness or fatigue.

A minority of individuals have evidence of anemia or reduced serum iron stores. Peripheral nerve electrophysiological studies and gross brain morphology are usually normal.

due to:
-Idiopathic form (due to unknown reasons)
-Vitamin B12 and iron deficiency
-Associated with general medical or neurological conditions like: renal failure, rheumatoid arthritis, peripheral vascular disease, or peripheral nerve dysfunction which need evaluation.

The prevalence of restless legs syndrome is between 2% and 10% in the general population and as high as 30% in general medical populations. Prevalence increases with age and is equal in males and females. Course is marked by stability or worsening of symptoms with age.

For treatment: Take multivitamin and iron preparation for 1 month and if not relieved go for evaluation by general physician to rule out other causes.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.