Feeling itchy sensation inside rib cage, breast and middle of chest. How to get relief?

Average

Question
Hi, I have an itchy feeling inside my rib cage. It is on the left hand side only and all I want to do is to scratch the inside of my rib cage. The sensation is under my left breast, going up the middle of the chest, sometimes I think I can also feel it towards my back. It has now been persistent for 3 days and I can't alleviate it with anti-acid, sitting up instead of lying down (these are the only methods I have tried).
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 21 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Want to know few more things in detail like are there any skin lesions , is it associated with pain.

If no other symptoms , then you can take anti allergic medications , which are available over the counter to decrease itching.

If you have skin lesions then consult a dermatologists to rule out any infections like herpes, fungal infection or any allergies.

Antacids wont relive itching and it6s unlikely that gastritis to cause itching.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Feeling itchy sensation inside rib cage, breast and middle of chest. How to get relief? 12 minutes later
Hi and thanks for replying. I think, however, you have misunderstood my question. The itchy feeling is inside of me, not on the outside. I can't describe the exact location but only say it must be somewhere inside my rib cage, below the breast and leading up the centre of the rib cage.

Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 13 minutes later
Hello
Good to hear from you.
Sorry for misinterpretation of your question.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
This sounds very much like an unusual presentation of an allergic skin reaction called dermagraphism, where the itching tends to seem to come from inside (beneath the skin), and causes raised, hive-like marks when scratched, which usually makes the area itch all the more, leading to chronic irritation. Usually does happen on the chest wall or upper abdomen.
Best thing to try and control this is Benadryl. If this causes too much drowsiness there are other, slightly less effective antihistimines and if this doesn't work you might need to have a dermatologist take a look. However, I feel fairly certain this is dermagraphic expression of an allergic reaction.
Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Feeling itchy sensation inside rib cage, breast and middle of chest. How to get relief? 52 minutes later
Hello again, there is nothing I can scratch unless I put my hand down my throat and scratch. There is absolutely no feeling I have to scratch my skin so I am wondering why you would consider this a skin disorder?

Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Hello
Good to hear from you.
Are you feeling any burning sensation over there or pain, or dull aching pain when you take XXXXXXX breath or cough.
Another condition that can present with above symptom is pleurisy which is inflammation of pleura which is a two layered sac that holds the lungs and separates them from the chest wall, diaphragm, and heart.
X XXXXXXX chest can be useful in diagnosing this condition.
I advice you to see physician for examination and exact diagnosis.
Wish you good health.