Feeling itchy, painful and worm crawling on nose during sleep. Why am I getting this feeling?

ENT Specialist
Question
Dear Doctor,

I had encounter nose problem this few months, It always happen during my sleep. You will feel like worm crawling out around one of the nostril. I tried to blow out , but it seem gone. But when you go to sleep again. It will run to another nostril. Especially this few weeks. My two nostril will get itchy each day at the inner layer. It just like a pimple. It was very painful. Somtimes I try to catch it when it get itchy. But Only get to see from the tissue paper is a little pool of blood. But when you go into the nostril again. There is no blood on the tissue? Why? its funny?? pls advise?

thanks.
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for the query

The symptoms you are suffering from, is due to allergic rhinosinusitis.

The sensation of something crawling inside the nose is due to alternate congestion and release in the nasal mucosa following sinusitis. The itching in the nose is because of allergy to dust, cool temperature, food, etc. which needs to be found out by yourself. Bleeding from the nose is secondary to rupture of small capillary vessels following nose blowing. The bleeding is usually from the minute capillaries, it will usually stop in seconds which might not be noticed while cleaning the nose.

My advice to you:
1. To use saline and steroid (such as fluticasone or momentasone) nasal sprays.
2. Followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day.
3. A mucolytic such as bromhexine or ambroxol.
4. An antihistaminic (fexofenadine or loratidine).
5. Change the pillow covers before every night before going to bed.
6. Drink plenty of warm water.
Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Feeling itchy, painful and worm crawling on nose during sleep. Why am I getting this feeling? 1 hour later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

How about the reply of small pimple growing in the nostril from one another. It itchy and painful. It may cause bleeding too.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later
Hi

Thanks for the query

My advice to you:
6. Drink plenty of warm water.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Hi

Thanks for writing back

I sincerely apologize for overlooking another query of yours. The small pimple could be the folliculitis which occurs when the hair follicles become infected, often with Staphylococcus aureus or other bacteria present in the skin covering the entry of the nostrils. It usually happens due to repeated nose picking or cleaning of the nostrils.

You can try using nasal cream such as Naseptin or Neosporin-H 3-4 times a day for a week or till the folliculitis subside.

Finally, if you are having recurrent folliculitis, please get your blood sugars checked to rule out diabetes.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Feeling itchy, painful and worm crawling on nose during sleep. Why am I getting this feeling? 18 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for your reply.
Base on your suggestion. Can I use fluticasone nasal sprays and nasal cream such as Naseptin to apply at the same timing?

2. Your reply, The sensation of something crawling inside the nose is due to alternate congestion and release in the nasal mucosa following sinusitis. The itching in the nose is because of allergy to dust, cool temperature, food, etc.
But somtimes it happened even when I am not sleeping, As long my body is not moving for a period (eg. 1 hour more or less). It will feel one of the nostril something like worm crawling out. So Shall I still use the fluticasone nasal sprays? or ??

Hi

Welcome back

You can definitely use both fluticasone and naseptin cream, both are safe and effective.

When you are performing some work there is heat generated in the body which will reduce the nasal congestion. But, once you are static, the congestion returns back. This is a typical feature of allergic rhinitis. Also, follow the other measures as I have mentioned in my first response.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon