Feeling itching for the past wk and no rash. Noticed pink spots. Have itching on whole body. Remedy?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi Iv been really itching for the past wk and half I don't hav a rash just some XXXXXXX pink spots and its worst at nite I now hav the itching all over my body including my scalp and my skins burns and it feels like something crawling cant really explain just a weird feeling
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be scabies, urticaria or eczema

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
From the description provided it could be
Scabies- small red bumps are seen over chest, abdomen, inner side of thighs, wrist, forearm etc. Itching is usually severe in night and other co residents may have similar features. Scalp involvement in adults is not seen.

urticaria- small red bumps which are transient. may appear. Urticaria too can have nocturnal severity. The red dots, bumps or wheals are evanscent ie disappear to appear at some other body area.

Eczema- small red bumps may be present. These may occur due to an allergic reaction to sun, plants, pollens, metals ,creams etc.

I would appreciate if you could attach an image of the lesions so that most probable diagnosis can be suggested.

I would also like to know
Exact areas of involvement
If rashes or bumps are transient
If there has been an exposure to any allergen
If your scalp is scaly

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Follow-up: Feeling itching for the past wk and no rash. Noticed pink spots. Have itching on whole body. Remedy? 13 minutes later
Hi how do I send a image and also iv been told it cud be my liver

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you may upload the image

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
You may either upload a good quality image by clicking on upload report/image icon which is on right side of query page or you may send it to attachments@healthcaremagic. com and mention ATTN: Dr kalpana Pathak in subject line.

Raised liver enzymes, bilirubin or abnormal liver function could be a cause of itching. However I would like to see the images first then only I would be able to proceed further with discussion.

Follow-up: Feeling itching for the past wk and no rash. Noticed pink spots. Have itching on whole body. Remedy? 11 minutes later
I hav a few spots down pubic area a few on each arm dont hav my scalp is fine accept its itching a couple of the spots has a tiny black dot in the middle

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
I need the images for diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
I need the images of concerned lesions for diagnosing the condition.
From the description it sounds like scabies. An image of the lesions would help in confirming the same.
You may treat yourself for scabies empirically to see how much response you get
1)Take tablet cetirizine to alleviate the itch
2)Apply 5 percent permethrin cream overnight all over your body below neck and bathe in morning.
3)From next day onwards apply a mild steroid cream over red bumps for resolution.
4) use a antibacterial shampoo to wash off hair. Tiny black dot lesions over scalp are due to itching only. These will resolve with antibacterial shampoo. Scabies does not involve scalp in adults.

Hope that helped.