Feeling itchiness around the anus. Applied Itch guard. No improvement. Noticed blood in stool. What could be the problem?

hello Doctor.

I am feeling itchiness around the anus. I apply Itch Guard and it goes away. then it comes back again after 2-3 days. I have to apply itch guard again. What can be the problem? I am worried and scared.

I also had blood during potty 6-7 weeks back. I am scared.please help me. I have been going to potty 3-4 times a day. NO blood since 6-7 weeks.
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to health care magic.
I can understand your concern.

Itching around the anus could be because of several causes. One of the several reasons is moisture there. Please see that that area is not moist. Dry yourself properly after a bath. Change with clean and dry undergarments at frequent intervals.

Another cause could be fungal infection of the skin. Antifungal treatment as advised by your doctor will help if this is the cause. A local examination of skin will confirm the diagnosis.

Another cause could be anal fissure or haemorrhoids. Your bleeding per rectum could be caused by any of these. A local examination again will confirm if this is the cause. There is nothing to worry. Please consult your doctor. He will do a local examination and arrive at a proper diagnosis. Further management depends on the diagnosis.
Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.
Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics