Feeling hungry. Have acidity problem with burning throat and stomach. How to avoid this?

Mar 2016

Hi i am having acidity problem, i feel like hungry but not able to eat. Due to this i feel like my stomach and throats are burning whenever there is mouthwatering.Can u tell me the way to avoid this.

Many thanks
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

You are probably suffering from hyper acidity or acid dyspepsia. There are several etiological factor behind this like peptic ulcer (prime cause), acid reflux disease (GERD), irregular diet habit, use of certain medication (like pain killer), mental stress/ anxiety/ depression, smoking/ consumption of alcohol, taking more spicy/ salty/ sour food stuffs etc.

Therefore, I suggest to consult with gastroenterologist at the earliest to XXXXXXX in pin point diagnosis through clinical examination and some investigation. You may need to perform GI Endoscopy to rule out peptic ulcer disease. Complete treatment can only be done after diagnosis of underlying causative factors.

In the interim, following things are very much helpful:

1) Quit smoking/ alcohol consumption if you have the habit. Here, psychological counseling may be helpful.
2) You should avoid certain food stuff like tea/ coffee/ salty & spicy items/ sour fruits (like lemon/ orange) / meat & beef (produce more heat & overexert the stomach with aggravating acidity)/ heavy diet (rich in calorie/ fat) etc.
3) Take only home made or properly cooked diet. Eat more XXXXXXX vegetables including celery, lettuce and spinach in your diet & fruits like water melon, banana and XXXXXXX
4) Never stay in empty stomach for long time. 3 major meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner) and 3 small meals must be taken in daily basis at 3-4 hrs interval.
5) Drink more purified water only after taking a meal & not before and keep bowel & bladder habit regular.
6) Try to avoid stress/tension by regular XXXXXXX breathing exercise/ yoga or other thing for complete relaxation.
7) May need some medication like antacid ( pantoprazole etc ) or other elements.
8) Also need adequate rest & sleeping, specially at night. Try to avoid unnecessary use of medication.

I hope above said information are sufficient & quite helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.